Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Change: California

            The disgust and anger weighed me down, making me sink to the bottom of the lake. Thoughts escaped through my ears, causing bubbles to rise to the top of chilled water. Anticipation flowed through my veins. It was thick, making my heart work harder. Worries overwhelmed me; they pounded in my chest rhythmically with my heart. Who was this person I called Aunt Julie? I’ve met her twice in my life and now I’m going to spend an entire two weeks with her in California. I need this though. I needed to get away from home before the resentment and hate towards him replaced all of my happiness. His selfishness was ripping our family apart, and it had no effect on him. I told myself repeatedly that I would push those thoughts to the back of my mind for this entire vacation.
            On the night that we flew in the weather decided to create one of the worst storms California has had in over ten years. Just our luck. As the tiny plane tumbled back in forth, my mother squeezed my hand until the circulation was cut off. I lost myself in the hum of the engine and created a force field around the airplane. I imagined blowing bubbles towards the plane, one of them engulfing it, protecting it and everyone inside from harm.
            Once we got back to her house we lugged out suitcases up to our room then headed down to the bath house. The bath house was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It was pretty much an old sacred spa. Tiny rooms for mud baths filled the structure, and in the middle was a massive pool full of natural spring water. The unbearable stench of sulfur filled the room, but I forgot all about it once I stepped into the scolding hot water. I could feel the minerals going to work instantly, peeling off the dead skin and exfoliating it until it was silky smooth. I gazed up at the full moon through the glass ceiling as I floated on my back and listened to my aunt talk.
            “People from all around the world would come to this bath house to be healed. There are sacred spirits all around us here.” The excitement was wild in her eyes as she shared the somewhat eerie history of the property she lived on.
            A Reiki healer came to the bath house that night to enjoy the positive energy of the property. She showed us her varied assortments of pendulums. Chrystal ones, bronze ones, and rock ones. I tried out a bronze one, hovering it over my forefinger, becoming ecstatic when it swirled immediately and showed which way my positive energy flowed.
            “Wow, I’ve never seen anyone get it to work that fast. I think that you are meant to have that one.” The healer said stunned.
            “Thank you so much.” I said appreciatively.
My eyes opened that day. Everything changed. All the way from my interests and the way my brain processed thoughts. I let all of the resentment flow away, replacing it with knowledge of healing and positivity.
            The next morning I woke up to George the parrot tapping his beak against our window, and Princess purring in my ear. I stumbled downstairs half asleep and heard my aunt singing to the group of animals assembled in the kitchen. A sigh of relief escaped and a smile overcame me. We definitely shared the same bloodline.
            “Scurry upstairs and get on your hiking shoes! We’re going to Monorea Bay today!” she exclaimed enthusiastically.
            My jaw dropped to the sand once I saw the amazing scenery. Miles and miles of ocean, mountains towering in the clouds, and flocks of birds drifting freely in the air. After hours of hiking the humid air blended with the stickiness of my sweaty face.  I jumped off a low cliff into the icy cold water. Instead of sinking to the bottom, I floated to the top. The anger no longer filled my bones. Bliss filled them instead, leaving them airy.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment